Tax Deductions for Nurses
For Nurses, there are various kinds of deductions which can be deducted from the income which can decrease the tax liability to some extent;
- Agency costs: Agency represented nurses may need to pay for fees or memberships:
- Memberships and union fees: If you pay a membership fee to a nursing industry body or if you pay dues to a union, you can claim these costs. This includes various kinds of fees paid for the registration and memberships at Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.
- Work Uniform: Nurses often have specific clothing required for their job. This clothing includes protective equipment, uniforms with a logo and laundering expenses for those items.
- Stationery: This includes diaries, planners, log books, workbooks etc.
- Computer/Laptop: If you have to use your personal computer or laptop for work, you can claim depreciation costs for these items (based on a percentage of legitimate work-related use).
- Mobile phone: You can claim a percentage of your mobile phone bill if you use your mobile for work related phone calls.
- Subscriptions: Subscriptions to nursing magazines, books and journals that are used to keep your knowledge current can be claimed.
- Home office expenses: Only claimable if you are genuinely required to work from home. You can claim a percentage of costs such as internet and landline only for the time you work from home
- Transportation: The cost of travel between two workplace can also be claimed. If you are using your own car, the amount can be calculated using two methods which is effective from July,2015; Cents per kilometer and log book method